PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Pages

Friday, January 28, 2011

For Love of the Game

When Rich and I were first married, we went spent our first Easter together in Pittsburgh with his family. Me, never having been to Pittsburgh, was eager to see the sights. Rich, having grown up in the Pittsburgh area, was eager to show them to me. Alice, Rich's sister, was eager to stay home with a then six-month old Jonathon and spoil him rotten while we went sight seeing.

So, Rich and I set out to explore Steel City. I have to say Pittsburgh is an amazing city, like all big, older cities are wont to be. One of Rich's most favorite things to show me during our tour was Three Rivers Stadium. Every time we drove past ANYTHING he would reference in relation to Three Rivers Stadium.

"Look there's the old Clark Building....it's xxxx miles from Three Rivers Stadium." "Oh, that's the Carnegie Building...It's xxxx distance from Three Rivers Stadium" "Oh! Wow! (still driving the car, bending over me to look) Look out your window....We're driving right past Three Rivers Stadium!!!"

You get the idea. I was amused....and I totally got it....being from the fine football tradition of the Green Bay Packers myself...it was a classic case of a person taking pride in their team and their city.

So...between seeing the sights and yep, Three.Rivers.Stadium, Rich thought it would be super cool to ride the Duquesne Incline up to Mount Washington. He told me I would be able to see to fountain where the confluence of the actual three rivers meet...."You know the fountain that Al Micheals always shows on Monday Night Football." (Rich really said that.....I swear to Gawd.)

Rich was right: I loved the incline. We arrived at the top of Mount Washington and the view of the city is stunning. People watching was also fun: There were couples up there with arms around each other. There were generations of families talking to each other. There were older couples holding hands. And.....

There was my husband, looking over his city, proud and excited, beckoning me over:

"Amie, Amie, you have to see this!!"

Me (thinking he found the fountain) (excited): "What?!?"

Rich (eyes glittering, joyous, Christmas morning excited): "You can see inside of Three Rivers Stadium from here! That.is.so.COOL!!

Me (jaw open): burst of laughter....

Rich: "I wonder if they are open for tours!"

Me: "I have no idea. We can check. (still laughing)"

Sadly, Three Rivers was not open for tours at the time of our visit. Even sadder, they tore that stadium down before Rich could take his tour. Happily, I did find the fountain where the three rivers meet. Heinz Field and PNC Park now host the Steelers and the Pirates, I want to write "respectively," but it's difficult to write "respect" and the Pirates in the same sentence.

Although, I have been to PNC park and it is a beautiful stadium.

Rich and Jonathon have been to Heinz Field and their biggest complaint was the Steelers took a beating from the Colts. However, not much had changed in ten years, and Jon was still spoiled rotten at Aunt Alice's house.

No comments:

 
Blog Design by 2711 Designs