PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Pages

Tuesday, July 17, 2007

(Unwillingly) Giving Up Caffeine

Last week, as part of my migraine management, I had to give up caffeinated drinks. Cold Turkey. No warning. No farewell Diet Pepsi. Just out of the doctors office and off the caffeine.

Monday was great. I thought, okay, I am tired from the Toby Keith concert and sleeping in a hotel, I can recover without a kick from Starbucks. Big deal.

Tuesday morning, no coffee, no problem. I seldom had coffee in college and managed just fine on less sleep. Tuesday, by 2:00pm, with no Diet Pepsi to ease the dull ache of screaming children in the back of my head, while simultaneously providing the sweet, sugary rush of caffeine in my blood, I realized I was just lying to myself and if I didn't get caffeine or drugs, bad things were going to happen. Probably to Rich because he was the most convenient and easiest target. (Apparently, he knew this and was avoiding me for this very reason. Chicken.)

Let's not talk about Wednesday and Thursday. Satan wasn't even willing to make a deal with me those two days. He took one look at me and said, "Lady, not even your eternal soul for all the Starbucks and Diet Pepsi in the world."

Friday, I would have traded Lauren for a can Diet Pepsi. One can. No doubt, the consequences would have been ugly after I drank the forbidden nectar, the regret kicked in, and I had to explain my actions to Rich, but ooohhhh....the temptation.

Saturday, I had tears in my eyes when my friend poured her mom, her stepmom, and her self cups of regular coffee and they all drank them in front of me. And later that same day, I arrived to the very sad conclusion, that no matter how much I ate, it wasn't going to transform into caffeine.

Fortunately for me, but not as funny for you, Sunday I was fine. No cravings.

I do want to point out that I did this while I was on medication to manage headaches, which made a potentially crippling situation a little less so, but not less stressful. Seriously, going off caffeine without a plan can have some very serious medical side effects, none for which I want to be responsible, so if you are even (shudder) considering (think very long and hard) about giving up caffeine (stop and think some more) please make sure you talk to your medical provider.

Hey, I don't want to be the one responsible for making deals with the devil or trading your kids for a can of Diet Pepsi.

No comments:

 
Blog Design by 2711 Designs