PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Pages

Thursday, June 5, 2008

Brandon Update

Yes. I know. I have four children. I have blogged about three of them and it is my job, my responsibility, my-must-do-it-so-my-mommy-guilt-does-not-kick-in-responsibility to report on child number three, Brandon. Do not misunderstand me; there is plenty to report and I love him. The real deal is Brandon can have me tied in knots faster than the other three kids put together. For one, he is the most like his father. Also, under his tough shell he is the easiest to have his feeling hurt and feel excluded from the group. However, he is extremely smart and extremely lovable. The extremely lovable part makes everything else easier to accept.

School went well: The child is five, just finishing 4K, can count to 100, and is already adding and subtracting math facts under 10.

So besides tying me knots, Brandon has been wiping the floor with me in Monopoly, Jr. Four games in 48 hours, and I have not been able to catch a break from this kid. I wish I could say I have been letting him win, but we start out on completely equal playing ground. Brandon ends up victorious and I end up humiliated. I only take comfort in the fact that I am teaching him math skills and good sportsmanship (although maybe I should be teaching him how to trash talk...nah...he can learn it from his brother like he does all his other practical life skills).

One thing that has been amazing to watch develop in Brandon is his sense of pride and leadership. He really wants to help Rich and I. He is the first one out the door, without being asked, to help me unload the groceries when I get home from the store. He also helps me put them away. Lately, he has been helping Lauren get out of her car seat when the van is stopped too. If I need someone to help complete something around the house, he wants to be first one that I ask. That is a joyous thing that I am going to exploit for as long as he lets me.

At church, he LOVES helping set up the Wednesday night meal when it is our turn to cook it. He still hates sitting still during church; some days I give up and put him and Lauren in the nursery when they are so antsy I think I am about to lose my mind, but paying attention is a learning process for everyone. I told our pastor that Brandon will probably be the child that goes into seminary. If that would happen I am passing out Pixie sticks and markers to all the little children under five years old, six minutes before his first sermon. I swear I am. And when members of the congregation ask who I am, I will reply, "his mother, of course."

On a not so fun note: Brandon needs to have outpatient dental surgery on June 19. His first visit to have dental work done a few years ago was unbelievably traumatic for he and I, as the sedation medication they gave him did not take full effect, so Brandon was just old enough and just awake enough to remember all the discomfort, all the noise, and the general yuck of the dentist office. I have since found a dentist that he loves. However, due to his anxiety in the chair, no one has been able to get into his mouth to do anything besides clean his teeth. There is so much dental work that needs to be done, he is going to be admitted into the hospital, be put under anaesthetic for an hour, wake up with completed dental work, and not remember a thing. I am sure I will remember the pain and discomfort of it when I receive the bill.

Just a random note because I don't know where else to put this: I have started calling Brandon and Lauren Pea & Pod. Those two love to find trouble if they cannot invent some of their own. I have a feeling that I might have reason to refer to that name during the summer.

Otherwise, Brandon is growing and growing physically and mentally. He has a healthy sense of mischief just like the rest of his siblings. He is so much more likely to beg forgiveness than ask permission, but my life would be less without him.

No comments:

 
Blog Design by 2711 Designs