PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Pages

Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Dude! Checkmate!

En mass, the kids have discovered the game of chess. Let me assure you that critical thinking is alive and well in the Tolbert house. Atop the dining room table, strategies are well thought and Knights are nobly sacrificed in the defense of Kings and Queens.

Unless you happen to be me and have not played the game of chess for many, many years.

Last night can only be described as Jon and Noah taking turns humiliating me via pawns and rooks.

Frankly, I was hasty, I used poor position play, and worse, I did not always think (at minimum) two moves ahead to form a cohesive strategy. I deserved to lose (how fast and how epically to a twelve immediately followed by a ten year old, is an issue for another day).

For the record, I am not a novice to chess. First, my dad taught me how to play the game when I was in sixth grade. It is important to state my father has a firm policy that he does not let his children win games to make them feel good...Ever...so that prepared me for the next chess phase of my life.

In junior high and high school, I had the privilege of playing against extremely talented chess players. During lunch time I honed my crazy chess skills. Although my losses were far, far greater than my wins, I kept playing the game.

(To maintain some street cred, I was not in chess club. Okay, truthfully, I was not and still am not, that good of a player.)

As the kids and I are gathered around the table, I am taken back to those times in the library: The people playing the game, the spectators offering (unsolicited) advice, the competition, the critical thinking, and the sheer mind bending that it takes to check-mate your opponent.

As a family, we are supporting each other, laughing together, and agonizing together. The kids are enjoying discovering the finer points of the rules and sharing them with me. I love being a part of their new found knowledge.

I cannot wait to surprise them with an official Chess Rule Book for our family to pursue and discuss.

As a point of pride, I did win the rematch against Jonathon tonight. Jon held his own; admitedly he was surprised to find out I had learned from my mistakes from last night. Ultimately, Jon underestimating me was his downfall. We are now tied 1-1.

Unfortunately, due to bedtime contraints, the rematch with Noah was postponed.

1 comment:

Corey Heim said...

Wait, there was a chess club? How did I miss this? I guess I was too busy reading every exotic newspaper like "USA Today".

 
Blog Design by 2711 Designs